Monday, October 25, 2010

*IMPORTANT* Pack 14 Issue - PLEASE read


Dear Pack 14:

At the Halloween Party there was a bit of a squabble regarding "who was first" in the line for the food and one of the boys took a REAL pocketknife from his pocket, opened it up (so the blade was out) and held it up in front of him, at another boy, apparently in a "threatening" way so he could take that place ahead in line.


Who did it, and who was involved,  is not my primary concern (although I do believe it needs to be addressed specifically and individually, in addition to the whole pack).  Please note, I do not know who else, if anyone, witnessed this specific incident.  Nor am I sure that nothing else occurred with any other pack members.  This is all the information I have at this time. 

First of all, I am relieved nobody was physically hurt.  Now,
how we as "leaders/parents and good citizens" seize this incident as an example and opportunity for our children to learn from is the issue.   After all, if we don't teach our boys & guide them properly, at every step of the way, then what are we here for?  Furthermore,  we need to define what the organization CUB/BOY SCOUTS is really all about.  Although this incident involved only 2 of the scouts,  I believe it is relevant to everyone and warrants the support of the pack on how best to intervene.  I request that you consider the situation and the following that I feel are the main issues:

  • the misuse of a tool; using a knife as a weapon
  • the rules regarding tools at cub scout events, as defined by the Boy Scouts of America Council and defined by Pack 14
  • the bullying implied by this behavior (i.e., threatening in order to get something)
 
How does the pack want to handle this issue?


No comments:

Post a Comment