Monday, September 27, 2010

parade

Sorry for the long email, but please read for details about the fair parade. I know it's a lot, but your attention really helps. Please let me know if I missed any important info.  

New scouts: If your son is new to scouting (or our pack), I need to have you fill out a youth application for the BSA if you haven't already. Please see me before the parade. 

Map: 
I have attached the map to the County Fair Parade. If this makes no sense to you, you are not alone. It appears to be the same info as last year. If this is your first time, I'll try to list all the relevant details below. 

Arrival: Meet at 3:30pm on Thursday at the grassy area behind the entrance to UH-Maui (formerly MCC) by Wakea and Kaahumanu. Do not plan to enter the main entrance with your car, even for a drop off... I recommend arriving early to get parking in order to avoid the road closures from the parade and find our pack in the sea of scouts. That said, there is always a lot of standing around in the hot sun waiting for things to start.

Meeting place: There will be a lot of scouts and a few marching bands. Once there, look for pack 14. I will try to find a spot in the shade to meet up. It shouldn't be too hard to find familiar faces in the crowd if you walk around. I recommend you bring along cell numbers of other parents you know so we can meet up. I am available on my cell at 264-8082 if you have real problems.

Parking: I recommend parking by the recycling center or the drive in movies (off of Papa Ave?). Tell them you're in the parade if they are controlling parking. At some point, they will close Kaahumanu Ave, so show up early. I have received no info on parking, so this is last year's info, and accept my apologies in advance if that's not correct. Plan to show up early to avoid the inevitable chaos. I would not plan to park in the tiny lot to the left of the main entrance.

Families: Your family can march in this parade, and are encouraged to do so. Do not bring children who are not related to a scout.

Adult partners:
-- Every Tiger needs an adult partner at all events. It doesn't have to be a parent, but there has to be an adult for every child (exception: siblings can come with the same adult partner).
-- Bears, Wolves, and Webelos can be dropped off, however, please find another adult to be responsible (i.e.: more than just present) for your child. I am asking that no parent be responsible for more than 2 scouts. If you bring siblings, please don't offer to watch another scout.

End: Parade ends at the war memorial stadium parking lot near the baseball stadium. Plan to meet there to get tickets (if there are any).

Uniforms:
-- Class A uniforms - that's everything... I recommend a pack t-shirt underneath for later.
-- Newer boys: If you don't have a uniform yet, don't worry, just come out.
-- Pack t-shirts: I will bring a blue pack t-shirt to the start of the parade for anyone who orders one. Send me the size and quantity. Cost is $9. Email me if interested.
-- As always, close-toed shoes for everyone (parents, scouts, siblings, aunties...)
-- Bring water and wear sunscreen

Flags: As in the past, the Webelos will carry the flags. Only boys in full class A uniform will carry the flags (including hat and neckerchief).

Tickets: In the past, they have given fair tickets to boys marching. No word on that yet from the council, so no promises, but most families go to the fair afterward.

Popcorn: Velva will be handing out popcorn forms and instructions. 

Blog: I added a blog page to the
http://mauipack14.org website. The emails to the pack (like this) will automagically get posted to the blog. If you are email-filing-challenged (you know who you are), you can dig out old emails there. 

--
David Askov
264-8082
http://mauipack14.org


No comments:

Post a Comment